What Causes This Reddish Brown Discoloration

kingdomCome

Mar 9, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingdom
Hello EB family. Iā€™m new to this site and came here in hopes of getting some advice/tips/suggestions and learning what this reddish brown discoloration is on my boy Kingdom. His eyes water from allergies and he has bad tear stains and now the brown discoloration is taking over his face. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this will be so helpful. For informational purposes, he eat farmers dog, their turkey and beef. We used to cook for him but that was a lot of work and I was worried he was missing nutrients. Heā€™s allergic to chicken I believe because heā€™s itchy when he eat that so I eliminated that protein. He was on Acana duck limited ingredient but he was pooā€™n like a horse. I read on this site it could be an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria infection. If this is the case, how do we get rid of it?

Attachments

• IMG_8608.jpeg
    IMG_8608.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 19

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Most of the time its a food issue. If You had no issue with cooking for him, go back to it. And no you do not lose any nutrients whatsoever. Itā€™s better to cook or feed raw. One good advice I can give you is broth, boil beef bones for hours to get all the minerals out, collagen, etc out. Yup can even freeze in small portions. Top his cooked meals with the broth. You can get better nutrients than that. Add raw liver as toppers to his meals n raw marrow bones. My White Face, Jake, his face is like you mentioned nowadays. My other EB keeps licking his face after every meal n itā€™s becoming an obsession. His face is always wet. I now have to split them up n keep an eye on both.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
@paw7004 has had great success with this. I do not remember the final solution for Tebowā€¦

Millie has had tear stains off and on, when they show up I can normally trace it back to a new food or treat. I use a product called white winkle which keeps the folds dry and I think it helps but it certainly doesnā€™t solve the cause.

OP
kingdomCome

kingdomCome

Mar 9, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingdom
Most of the time its a food issue. If You had no issue with cooking for him, go back to it. And no you do not lose any nutrients whatsoever. Itā€™s better to cook or feed raw. One good advice I can give you is broth, boil beef bones for hours to get all the minerals out, collagen, etc out. Yup can even freeze in small portions. Top his cooked meals with the broth. You can get better nutrients than that. Add raw liver as toppers to his meals n raw marrow bones. My White Face, Jake, his face is like you mentioned nowadays. My other EB keeps licking his face after every meal n itā€™s becoming an obsession. His face is always wet. I now have to split them up n keep an eye on both.

Thank you for the reply. Kingdom has been on so many types and variations of food that Iā€™m starting to wonder if itā€™s allergy related not connected with food. We used to cook for him and here is an example of what we would feed him, cooked beef or turkey as the protein, add chicken liver from Whole Foods, add peas, carrots and broccoli add fresh sauerkraut and blueberries. I would also add hemp seeds and omega 3 oil and the stains would still be there. Another EB owner in my area told me it could be his saliva and it come from him drinking water and water dripping down his chin and it being wet that yeast is building up. If this is the case I donā€™t even know how to start to prevent this because itā€™s impossible to wipe his chin/mouth every time he drink. Weā€™re not even around him a lot of the times when he drink his water because we keep fresh water out for her 24/7. Iā€™ve tried every cream and wipe on Amazon and Chewy and nothing seems to help longterm. If this is possibly not a food allergy what steps do you recommend I can do outside of his food to fix this? If it is an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria on his body/paws at this point do I need a vets help or is there possibly something natural I can do? Someone mentioned apple cider vinegar. Wondering if any other EB owners with this issue has had success with this. Thanks again for any and all tips. Iā€™m willing to try anything at this point.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the reply. Kingdom has been on so many types and variations of food that Iā€™m starting to wonder if itā€™s allergy related not connected with food. We used to cook for him and here is an example of what we would feed him, cooked beef or turkey as the protein, add chicken liver from Whole Foods, add peas, carrots and broccoli add fresh sauerkraut and blueberries. I would also add hemp seeds and omega 3 oil and the stains would still be there. Another EB owner in my area told me it could be his saliva and it come from him drinking water and water dripping down his chin and it being wet that yeast is building up. If this is the case I donā€™t even know how to start to prevent this because itā€™s impossible to wipe his chin/mouth every time he drink. Weā€™re not even around him a lot of the times when he drink his water because we keep fresh water out for her 24/7. Iā€™ve tried every cream and wipe on Amazon and Chewy and nothing seems to help longterm. If this is possibly not a food allergy what steps do you recommend I can do outside of his food to fix this? If it is an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria on his body/paws at this point do I need a vets help or is there possibly something natural I can do? Someone mentioned apple cider vinegar. Wondering if any other EB owners with this issue has had success with this. Thanks again for any and all tips. Iā€™m willing to try anything at this point.
I use thisā€¦.works wonders!

LumoLeaf Dog Water Bowl, 70oz/2L Dog Bowl Large Capacity No-Spill Pet Water Bowl, Non-Slip Slow Water Feeder​

OP
kingdomCome

kingdomCome

Mar 9, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingdom
@paw7004 has had great success with this. I do not remember the final solution for Tebowā€¦

Millie has had tear stains off and on, when they show up I can normally trace it back to a new food or treat. I use a product called white winkle which keeps the folds dry and I think it helps but it certainly doesnā€™t solve the cause.

Thank you. Hopefully paw7004 will respond to let me know what was done to achieve success with this issue.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
What kind of water are you giving? (What is the source)

OP
kingdomCome

kingdomCome

Mar 9, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingdom
What kind of water are you giving? (What is the source)

He drink the same water we drink, which is Alkaline water or Costco bottled purified water.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He drink the same water we drink, which is Alkaline water or Costco bottled purified water.
is there fluoride in it? Not healthy.

Theres a few of us members using that water bowl. My son uses to n no issues of wet floors which is why I bought it. I have. German Shepherd that drinks like a cowšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø But I did notice for the bullies their mouths stay dry.

im in Canada so hope you bought yours from Amazon USA. Cheaper.

OP
kingdomCome

kingdomCome

Mar 9, 2024
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingdom
is there fluoride in it? Not healthy.

Theres a few of us members using that water bowl. My son uses to n no issues of wet floors which is why I bought it. I have. German Shepherd that drinks like a cowšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø But I did notice for the bullies their mouths stay dry.

im in Canada so hope you bought yours from Amazon USA. Cheaper.

Alkaline and purified water does not have fluoride in it. I believe thatā€™s Spring Water.

Yes, Iā€™m excited to try the bowl and did order it off Amazon. Hopefully this will help with the sloppy wet drinking that Bulldogs do, especially since you noticed their mouths stay dry.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Alkaline and purified water does not have fluoride in it. I believe thatā€™s Spring Water.

Yes, Iā€™m excited to try the bowl and did order it off Amazon. Hopefully this will help with the sloppy wet drinking that Bulldogs do, especially since you noticed their mouths stay dry.
My 2 bullies actually donā€™t mess while drinking. Itā€™s Sadie the GS. I think she never grasped the concept the tongue needs to curl to scope up water. I saw that bowl on a commercial video, googled it. Had good reviews. Also it doesnā€™t leave slim in the water.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If pooping too much with the Acana, you were feeding more than needed. Tear stains are usually caused by allergy, environmental and/or food. Beef & Chicken are the 2 proteins that cause the most allergy problems based on our experiences. I would go back to the Acana and feed less food and see what happens over a couple of months time...perhaps 3 or 4 months.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Tebow had heavy red stains in the folds where his tears drain. I learned that when the red blood cells die off, a normal thing, there is a by-product that is excreted in the tears and sweat and bowel movements that causes that dark red stain. The discoloration was also noticed in his paws. Tebow was getting a vitamin supplement and I saw that his iron intake was too high when combined with his kibble. He's healthy, good food, so we don't need that supplement. The discoloration went down a little bit. I asked a bulldog breeder/judge and he suggested I ask a bichon owner at a show as tear stains are no-no's for that breed. So I did. Answer: clean the face with distilled water AND make that his drinking water. Listening to a recent Q&A seminar with Doris Boyd, someone asked her about this and she said "Tomatoes!" She doesn't know why but it seemed to help. A pro handler suggested cleaning the folds with Plush Puppy Wonder Wash Self-Rinsing Shampoo and then applying a little smear of Desitin cream into the fold, careful not to get in the eyes. It contains zinc, much like Eye Envy and other whiteners and it's waterproof so the tears roll off. (That's why we put it on our baby's bums when they get diaper rash.) So Tebow now drinks distilled water (costs $1.30/gal & lasts 3-4 days), gets 3 cherry tomatoes daily as snacks, gets the folds cleaned every 2-3 days & Desitin applied. HIs left eye creates more tears than the right eye. He has very little staining now. He's a piebald so that stain shows up and if doing conformation showing, I think it helps to have a 'clean face' on a white-faced dog. A recent vet visit showed that he has slight entropion, a few eyelashes causing irritation, thus more tears and heavier staining. She did not recommend surgery at this time as the cornea is not affected. But it does explain why one eye tears more than the other. So in a nutshell:
1. Distilled water for drinking
2. Add tomatoes-(cherry size are convenient)
3. Clean with Plush Puppy Wonder Wash and apply Desitin cream every 2-3 days.
4, Make sure that the iron content of food and supplements are not in excess.
5. Next vet visit-ask if your dog has signs of entropion.

Last edited:

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
"The characteristic reddish-brown color of dog tear stains is caused by an iron-containing dye molecule called porphyrin. When the body breaks down red blood cells, porphyrin is released. This molecule is excreted in the bile, tears, saliva, and urine of dogs. When excessive amounts of tears are released from the eyes, the porphyrin in the tears will stain the fur."
There may be other issues, i.e. allergies, entropion or other issues that may cause excessive tearing, but from what I have read, most dogs have no underlying medical reason for tear stains.

Members online

No members online now.