New baby alert and need some advice!!

Mar 26, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brian
Hi yall!

we welcomed our new baby Kyle about a week and a half ago and he’s doing great. His big Brother Brian is getting adjusted to him as well. I have a couple questions. We decided on Acana brand for food and I noticed when we switched protein his poop got runny. Is that normal? Is it recommended that we switch protein every week or so? What’s your experience?

TIA! Attaching pics of our babies

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
Brian.and.Kyle”s.Mom
Mar 26, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brian
He’s a cutie! Did you do a slow transition over to Acana or switch cold turkey? If no transition, switching foods cold turkey will most definitely cause tummy and digestion issues.
We transitioned over the course of a week or so. And he had solid poops until I switched from Acana lamb to Acana fresh fish. Same brand just different protein. So wondering if this will happen every time we switch protein which based on the research here is recommended?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We transitioned over the course of a week or so. And he had solid poops until I switched from Acana lamb to Acana fresh fish. Same brand just different protein. So wondering if this will happen every time we switch protein which based on the research here is recommended?
It shouldn’t affect each time you switch in same brand. Maybe go back to lamb till the stools are back on track. Then remove 1/4 cup of lamb n replace with the fish. I would do it for a good 3-4 days n monitor. If it’s all good do 1/2 cups n another 3-4 days n so on. If this doesn’t work simply try another protein like duck. Duck is easier to digest. What’s odd is lamb is harder to digest compared to duck or fish.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! You can also add a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to help with transition and stools.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles & Moose
The first thing I would do is reduce the amount offered by 25%. Oftentimes, loose stool is cause by feeding more food than the pup can properly digest.
It’s true that some proteins are not tolerated as well as others.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.